23rd RICARD VIÑES INTERNATIONAL PIANO COMPETITION
25th to 30th June 2018
LLEIDA, Catalonia (Spain)
Open to pianists of all nationalities aged 18 to 32
The competition is open to pianists of all nationalities, aged between 18 and 32 years on the date of the contest. This excludes 1st Prize’s winners in previous editions, and relatives of jurors or pianists who have been students of the jurors during the last two years.
ROUNDS AND PROGRAMME REQUIREMENTS
Candidates will be subjected to a preselection and three rounds: qualifying, semifinal and final. The structure and repertoire of each of the rounds are:
- Audiovisual recording (minimum 10 minutes – maximum 15 minutes)
A study of virtuosity, first movement (Allegro) of a sonata by Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven, one or more pieces of own choice
- Preliminary round (minimum 20 minutes – maximum 25 minutes)
Two sonatas by D. Scarlatti or A. Soler, two studies of virtuosity, one or more pieces of own choice
- Semi-final round (minimum 35 minutes – maximum 40 minutes)
A complete sonata by Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven, one work by Ricard Viñes repertoire (see annex 1) and optionally one or more pieces of the participant’s choice
- Final round
One of the following concertos, to be chosen by the contestant:
- L.V. BEETHOVEN: Concerto No. 4 in G major, Op. 58
- L. V. BEETHOVEN: Concerto no. 5 in E flat major, Op. 73
- F. CHOPIN: Concerto No. 1 in E minor, Op. 11
- F. CHOPIN: Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21
- E. GRIEG: Concerto in A minor, Op. 16
- F. LISZT: Concerto No. 1 in E flat major, S. 124
- W. A. MOZART: Concerto No. 20 in D minor, KV 466
- W. A. MOZART: Concerto No. 23 in A major, KV 488
- S. RACHMANINOFF: Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18
- M. RAVEL: Concerto in G major
- R. SCHUMANN: Concerto in A minor, Op. 54
- P. I. TCHAIKOVSKY: Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor, Op. 23
They will be accompanied by the Orquestra Simfònica del Vallès OSV http://www.osvalles.com/en
The entire programme has to be performed from memory.
Repetitions can be performed at the competitor’s discretion, as long as the total duration of the programme does not exceed the time limit.
The jury reserves the right to cut short or interrupt any of the tests if the contestant exceeds the maximum alotted time.
Participants can repeat one piece or more pieces of the audiovisual recording in the preliminary round or in the semi-final round, but they are not allowed to present one piece of the preliminary round in the semi-final one.
In the case of sonates, preludes and fugues, partitas, etc., parts of works will not be accepted in any of the tests.
- 1st Prize 12,000 € (sponsored by IFR Group). Concerts with orchestra
- 2nd Prize 6,000 €. Piano concert in the Auditorium of Lleida
- 3rd Prize 3,000 €. Piano concert in the Auditorium of Lleida
- Special Prize for the best Spanish participant. Piano concert in the Auditorium of Lleida
- Special Prize for the best performance of the Ricard Viñes repertoire: 1,000 €
All semifinalists will be awarded with the sum of € 250.
The amounts of the prizes are subject to the legal taxes.
The following documents should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Audiovisual recording (see information below)
- Application form duly completed (see annex 2)
- Photocopy of the identity card or passport of the candidate
- Curriculum vitae specifying studies, concerts offered, awards and diplomas and other aspects that the candidate sees fit.
- One current photo, suitable for reproduction
Applicants authorize the organisation of the competition to conduct all actions to check and verify the information they have submitted.
Each work performed and featured in this recording must have been recorded in one single take, with no breaks or editing. The video may be sent by mail in DVD format, or indicating the URL of an online audiovisual document.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application deadline is April 7th 2018.
- Once the application with the audiovisual recording and all the other documents has been received, the organisation will send an acknowlegement by e-mail within seven working days.
- After the deadline, the organisation will, by May 10th, send an email to all applicants informing them of their admission or non-admission to the competition. In the event that this information is not received, the applicant should contact the organiser.
- The accepted candidate will have a week, from the time the organization informs them of their admission, to pay the registration fee of € 100,00 (one hundred euros). This amount is non-refundable.
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION
The organisation will provide competitors who are accepted with practical information about their travel to Lleida, and also with a list with several possibilities of accommodation in the town. The competition has advantageous arrangements with several hotels in the town.
Free accommodation in our host families for participants is also possible.
PRESENTATION OF COMPETITORS
All selected candidates will be required to attend the reception of competitors, which will take place on 25th June at 6 pm in Concert Hall 2 in the Auditorium.
PRACTICE ROOMS AND COMPETITION’S PIANO
The organisation will provide competitors with practice rooms and pianos in the music conservatory for the duration of the competition.
Each candidate will have a short acoustic rehearsal in the competition hall in accordance with the advertised schedule.
Monday, 25th June, 6 pm
Presentation of competitors in the Auditorium
Tuesday, 26th and Wednesday 27th June
Thursday, 28th June
Friday, 29th June
Rehearsals with orchestra
Saturday, 30th June
Final round and awards ceremony
Performances will be in alphabetical order determined by the first letter of each candidate’s family name. The starting letter for the 23th Ricard Viñes International Piano Competition will be determined by the organisation. The precise schedule for each competitor will be announced following the presentation of the competitors.
RECORDING AND BROADCASTING
The Town Council of Lleida reserves the right to record, broadcast and produce all the competition’s performances.
ACCEPTANCE OF THE RULES
Failing to comply with any of these rules, or refusal to accept the jury’s decisions may lead to exclusion from the contest, with no right of appeal.
By submitting the application for the competition, the competitor accepts the stated rules.