25th RICARD VIÑES INTERNATIONAL PIANO COMPETITION
June 27th to July 1st, 2023
LLEIDA, Catalonia (Spain)
Open to pianists of all nationalities aged 18 to 32
The competition is open to pianists of all nationalities, aged 18 to 32 years on the date of the contest. This excludes 1st Prize winners in previous editions, and relatives of jurors or pianists who have been regular students of any of the jurors during the last two years.
ROUNDS AND PROGRAMME REQUIREMENTS
The competition consists of three rounds: online eliminatory round, semi-final round and final round. The structure and repertoire of each of the rounds are:
1. Online eliminatory round (minimum of 30 minutes – maximum of 40 minutes)
- Repertoire: a prelude and fugue by J.S. Bach, two studies of virtuosity, a complete sonata by Haydn or Mozart, one or more pieces of own choice.
2. Live semi-final round (minimum of 50 minutes – maximum of 60 minutes)
- Repertoire: free recital that includes one work by Ricard Viñes repertoire (see annex)
3. Live final round
One of the following concertos, to be chosen by the contestant:
- L.V. BEETHOVEN: Concerto No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37
- L.V. BEETHOVEN: Concerto No. 4 in G major, Op. 58
- L. V. BEETHOVEN: Concerto no. 5 in E flat major, Op. 73
- F. CHOPIN: Concerto No. 1 in E minor, Op. 11
- F. CHOPIN: Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21
- E. GRIEG: Concerto in A minor, Op. 16
- F. LISZT: Concerto No. 1 in E flat major, S. 124
- W. A. MOZART: Concerto No. 20 in D minor, KV 466
- W. A. MOZART: Concerto No. 23 in A major, KV 488
- S. RACHMANINOFF: Concerto No. 2 in C minor, Op. 18
- M. RAVEL: Concerto in G major
- R. SCHUMANN: Concerto in A minor, Op. 54
- P. I. TCHAIKOVSKY: Concerto No. 1 in B flat minor, Op. 23
The entire programme has to be performed by heart.
Repetitions can be performed at the competitor’s decision, as long as the total duration of the programme does not exceed the time limit.
The repertoire of the eliminatory round and the repertoire of the semi-final round has to be different.
In the case of sonatas, preludes and fugues, partitas, etc., parts of works will not be accepted in any of the tests.
Pietro de Maria
- 1st Prize € 12,000 and concerts with orchestra (OSV – Orquestra Simfònica del Vallès) * in Barcelona (Palau de la Música) and Lleida
- 2nd Prize € 6,000 and a piano recital at the Auditorium of Lleida
- 3rd Prize € 3,000 and a piano recital at the Auditorium of Lleida
- Special Prize for the best Spanish participant: piano recital at the Auditorium of Lleida
All semi-finalists will be awarded with the sum of € 200.
The amounts of the prizes are subject to the legal taxes.
* Repertoire to be determined by the orchestra
APPLICATION FOR THE ELIMINATORY ROUND
The registration to the eliminatory round has to be made with the application that you will find in this link.
Besides the personal data and the repertoire, the application procedure will also ask for the following documents:
- Passport or identity card of the candidate
- Curriculum vitae specifying studies, concerts performed, awards and diplomas and other aspects that the candidate considers relevant
- One current photo suitable for reproduction or to be published
- Audiovisual recording (see information below)
- The fee for the application to the eliminatory round is € 50. Proof of payment of the participation fee must be presented upon submitting your application form. The participation fee will not be refunded in case of elimination. Transfer costs, if any, are borne by the applicant.
Applicants authorize the organisation of the competition to carry out all actions to check and verify the information they have submitted.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The application deadline is April 15th, 2023
ELIMINATORY ROUND: AUDIO-VISUAL RECORDING
The video recording has to be made especially for the 25th Ricard Viñes International Piano Competition.
Each work performed and featured in this recording must have been recorded in one single take, with no breaks or editing, with good technical quality of image and sound. The camera used must be fixed at an angle in which the piano will be always visible, as well as the pianist face, hands and feet.
The first recording must start with the following verbal statement: Participant’s name, Ricard Viñes International Piano Competition and date.
It may be sent by mail in DVD format, or indicating the URL of an online audio-visual file.
PROCESS OF THE ELIMINATORY ROUND
Once the application with the online eliminatory round and all the other documents have been received, the organisation will send an acknowledgement by e-mail within ten working days.
The deliberation will be carried out by at least five members of the official jury and the video will not be published.
The organisation will send by May 10th an email to all applicants informing them of their admission or non-admission to the live semi-final round in Lleida. In case of missing this information, the applicant should contact the organiser.
The maximum number of admitted semi-finalists is 16.
All semi-finalists will be required to attend the informative reception of competitors, which will take place on 27th June at 6 pm in Concert Hall 2 in the Auditorium.
Performances will be in alphabetical order determined by the first letter of each candidate’s family name. The starting letter for the 25th Ricard Viñes International Piano Competition will be determined by the organisation. The precise schedule for each competitor will be announced following the presentation of the competitors.
PERFORMANCES OF SEMI-FINALISTS IN LLEIDA
All the semi-finalists, except those who will act in the final round, are invited to offer performances in the city of Lleida after the semi-final round, on June 30th and July 1st. These performances will be remunerated apart from the awarded sum of € 200.
The final round will take place on Saturday 1st July at 7 pm at the Auditorium Enric Granados in Lleida. It will be accompanied by the Orquestra Simfònica del Vallès OSV
- Registration deadline for the online eliminatory round: April 15th
- Results of the online eliminatory round: May 10th
- Presentation of the semi-finalists in Lleida: June 27th at 6 pm
- Semi-final round: June 28th and 29th
- Performances of the semi-finalists in Lleida: June 30th and July 1st
- Interviews of the invited members of the jury with the interested participants: June 30th and July 1st
- Rehearsals of the finalists with the orchestra in Sabadell (Barcelona): June 30th
- Final round with orchestra in Auditorium Enric Granados Lleida: July 1st at 7 pm
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION
The organisation will provide competitors who are accepted with practical information about their travel to Lleida, and also with a list with several possibilities of accommodation in the town. The competition has advantageous arrangements with several hotels in the town. Free accommodation in our host families for participants is also possible.
The organisation will provide practice rooms and pianos in the music conservatory during the competition for the participants.
Each candidate will have a short acoustic rehearsal in the competition hall in accordance with the advertised schedule.
RECORDING AND BROADCASTING OF THE COMPETITION
The semi-final and the final rounds will be broadcasted live in streaming at the competition web page.
The City Council of Lleida reserves the right to record, broadcast and produce all the competition’s performances.
ACCEPTANCE OF THE RULES
Failing to comply with these rules, or refusal to accept the jury’s decisions may lead to exclusion from the contest, without appeal.
By submitting the application for the competition, the competitor accepts the established rules.